CAKE!! for breakfast surely that isn’t right, yes that is what I said as well when I saw this! I had some coconut milk to use up and some slightly fizzy pineapple to use, I hate waste!
I stumbled across this recipe on chocolatecoveredkatie, I had all the ingrediants so though why not!
Coconut Breakfast Cake
(makes 1 large loaf)
- 1 cup spelt or white flour (or this: gf version)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp Ener-g (or 2 tbsp ground flax) (If you must, you can omit. The loaf just won’t rise as much. If you do use Ener-g or flax, just add the powder with the dry ingredients.)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp xylitol or sugar (or brown sugar or coconut sugar are also fine.)
- 1/8 tsp uncut stevia (or 4 packets nunaturals stevia, or 1/4 cup more sugar)
- 2 and 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240g) crushed pineapple, drained (You can sub ripe banana)
- 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk (see nutrition link below, for a lower-fat option)
- optional ingredients: chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts, shredded coconut, rum extract
Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine dry and stir well. Mix dry into wet, but don’t overmix. Pour into a greased or sprayed loaf pan, and cook for 35-38 minutes. Let cool at least ten minutes before going around the sides with a knife and removing from loaf pan. As mentioned above, I used a simple glaze of the sugar-free powdered sugar mixed with a little leftover coconut milk. But my absolute favorite way to eat this recipe is spread with coconut butter!
This turned out lovely and I don’t think that it will last the week! I will try it with wholemeal flour and I have some banana’s to use up! So I think that I will be doing that tomorrow!
I would love to know if you have tried it and what your opinion is on this!